8.19.2004

out of character and out on a limb

Today I did something out of character. Glen and I were walking to the coffeehouse to check e-mail when we passed the Minnekahta resort and dayspa and Blue Vervain restaurant. I'd seen a beautiful baby grand piano throughthe window when we'd passed the night before, so I wandered in to check it out. There was music on the stand but no one was playing so I plunked my butt down on the cracked leather piano bench and started playing Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. A middle aged man passed by and gave me a thumbs up. The action on the piano was wonderful and I found I could actually put some expression into the music. Partway through the second movement I noticed a tip jar in the corner. I was having a wonderful time and when I finished and picked up my backpack I heard applause. I turned and realized a family in the restaurant had been watching me the whole time. The applause fueled my nerve so I went to the front where another group of people, including the middle aged man also applauded me. So I asked about the tip jar and if I could come back to play for tips. The man turned out to be the manager and he said I could come Friday evening, when there would be more customers to play for. I'll play for an hour and in return he'll give Glen and me supper for free. I'm delighted! I can play for my supper!! I've learned over and over this summer that if you want to do something, you just have to ask. Just go out on a limb, be shameless and don't worry what they'll think of you. There is a chance that I'll suck royally on Friday, but that's okay. I'm leaving Hotsprings Saturday morning, what can they do to me?

No comments: