10.31.2004

Finnish food

There are few foods here that I haven't liked. Finns drink their coffee VERY strong. (Coffee-kahvi)Just like in the Midwest, if you visit a home you'll most likely be invited to sit and drink coffee and have some pulla. Pulla is like a cinnamon bun or sweet bread. I've had a LOT of pulla and coffee while I've been here. White bread is very rare. Usually they eat rye bread or hard flat whole grain bread. It's usually buttered and eaten with cheese and ham. A difference here is that people eat bread with cheese and ham and cucumbers for breakfast!! Also, flavoured yoghurt comes in milk (milk - maito) cartons and is runnier so you can pour it on your mysli (granola) I've tried cloudberries. They look like giant orange raspberries. Also lingonberries which we ate on the reindeer meat. Lingonberries taste like cranberries, but they grow in the forest, not in bogs. The only thing I'm not fond of is salmiakki or salt licorice. I like Finnish black licorice, but the salmiakki is black licorice that is strong and salty. Also, there is pepper flavoured salmiakki. I really didn't like that. Finns also like tar-flavoured candy. Also I tried a bottle of Karhu, a Finnish beer. Karhu means bear. It's bitter beer.

No comments: