10.13.2004

Finland

Well, I'm here!! I got on the plane in Minot, North Dakota at 11:08 a.m. on Monday and Paivi and Marcos picked me up at the Oulu train station last night (Tuesday night) just after midnight. The loneliest I've ever felt was sitting for six hours in the Amsterdam airport and knowing that all the people I know and love were thousands of miles away and that if anything bad were to happen I only had myself and God to rely on to get me out of trouble. I'm writing from the University in Oulu. My friend Paivi is an English teacher at an elementary school in Oulu and her husband, Marcos is studying to be a teacher here at the University. In just a few minutes I'll join Marcos and his brother for lunch at the cafeteria. I'm staying on the couch in Paivi in Marcos tiny but adorable apartment. Finland is cold and cloudy this time of year, much like North Dakota. Finland is 70 percent forest, so there are lots of trees. It's strange to look around and see everything written in a language I can't understand. Even the keyboard on this computer is arranged differently than I'm used to.

No comments: