12.20.2004

culture shock

I'm writing this blog from the warmth and comfort of Lisa's apartment. In the background American tv is blaring. There is carpet on the floor and I can understand everything everyone is saying. Outside snow is falling and the air ist noch kalt....I mean the air is cold, with that dry midwestern cold that so familiar ist...is. My brain is still spinning circles of German words but I am home again. Everything here is familiar...street signs, food, people. Yeah, I'll miss Europe. I'll miss the food and the people I met. I'll miss Jennifer and Xavier and Alex and Jacek and Philip and all the Marias. I'll miss the way people greet and say farewell with a kiss in the air next to each cheek. I'll miss the disco and sitting in the bar all night drinking beer with the Polish guys. I'll miss the majestic churches. And I'll miss the sound of English as spoken by a European. But....doch..........Dang it's good to be home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ooh... the green-eyed monster of envy has bitten me but good!

Mistrz said...

Hey, Stephanie, it's great that you remember about us - Jacek and Filip. Like I said in Berlin, everything will be in my book (or books). C U.