11.09.2004

Verstehst du mich?

I'm in Bavaria and it's snowing outside. Last week I left Helsinki on Wednesday. I arrived at the airport and was greeted by the word CANCELLED next to my flight number. There was fog in Amsterdam, my destination. After being rebooked standby and waiting several hours and making a few new friends, I finally made it. That's a story for another time.I spent two days in Amsterdam and found a really great hostel there called The Shelter. Then Friday I took the train to Germany (another frustrating day of travel. All the trains were late. But again I made two new friends....a German couple going to Wurzberg and we both got on the wrong train. So we found the right train together.) And now I'm in Bavaria and I'm going to meet my relatives on Thursday afternoon. They'll come to pick me up here in Scheinfeld and take me to Hopfingen where thezy live. Bavaria is very pretty.....rolling hills and woods, farmland, small villages, castles, vineyards. We went for a hike yesterday also to an Evangelische Kloister...a convent, but the nuns are Lutheran. It's called Schwanberg. Verena and her family are very kind and wonderful hosts and they're taking me around and showing me everything.
The only difficulty I'm having is communication. I speak German, but not real well and everyone talks so FAST!!!! It's difficult to get into the conversation when there is a group of people and I'm afraid I'm really not saying much. So if you pray for me, please pray that my German improves and that I learn to more assertively make conversation with people. I miss everyone that reads this.

No comments: