11.25.2004

Mischung

"Mischung" ist das Deutches wort für "mixture" or "combination. Berlin and The Goethe Institute are in every aspect a "Mischung" of cultures and languages. My class, Mittelstufe B1.1, has students from France, Bolivia, Switzerland, Japan, Russia, Serbia and USA. Monday I ate supper with a television journalist from Algeria named Mohammed. Tuesday I went for coffee after class with Xavier and Alexander from France, and last night I ate supper with Xavier, Alexander, Zoran from Serbia and Jennifer from Boston. Presently I'm waiting to go get sushi for lunch with Alexander, Xavier and Jennifer. Most people speak English, and we have to make it a point to speak in German so that we learn. It's amazing how much one can communicate with hands and feet and facial expressions and noises. Yesterday I went on a tour of the Egyptian museum in the morning, attended a lecture on the history of Berlin after class and then in the evening went to Stammtisch at Cafe Zosch, which was crowded, a bit loud, but there was a good swing band playing. I'm learning a lot about different countries and cultures.

No comments: