12.03.2005

The Importance of Reading

I found this article online. It points out that small children's brains develop intellectually, mentally and emotionally and are healthier if small children are read to. In fact this article says that some pediatricians actually prescribe reading to children along with regular check-up's and vaccinations. Apparently my mother already knew this. (She's pretty darn smart.) She started reading to me before I was born I think. She and dad continued reading to me after I was born. At the age of four I decided I was tired of being read to and wanted to understand for myself what the heck those funny symbols on the page meant. Mom, being a teacher, made flash cards for me that said things like "The cat sat on the mat." or "The cat sat on the hat." or "The hat is flat." She also gave me old "Dick and Jane" books. I picked up reading really quickly and by the time I started kindergarten I was reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prairie" series. And I still like to read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The article was a very good read. It confirmed everything I had already pieced together from other sources.

Lisa

How said...

Man, I never got read to. No wonder one can glimpse the Mark of the Tard on my forehead.

Wait. I used to like to read to other people. Like standing on the kitchen table and warning people about Gorbachev being even worse than Brezhnev (my father wouldn't allow "liberal" papers like the Boston Globe or NY Times into the house, so. . .). Little kids make eerie prophets, or at least Sibyl-style channels of someone else's ideas. Anyway, does this count?

Stephanie said...

Jennifer-Maybe I'm sorta blind, but I never saw the "Mark of the Tard" on your forehead. That and the fact that you have an Art History degree from Harvard and spent several months wandering through Europe alone reading and translating German poetry. May I say, You Rock, sistah!!!