12.04.2005

geography lesson

I love North and South Dakota because they are "home"....but I don't necessarily want to live there right now. I've always secretly loved the entire portion of the United States that is west of the Mississippi River: Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. I like the Rocky Mountains and I know that most of the good hiking can be found in these states. Western North and South Dakota have some beautiful country too. And I like central North Dakota because that is home. But the entire rest of the midwest and the south really don't interest me much. There is nothing that draws me there. I would like to visit Maine and a few New England states someday. Florida was alright and I liked the Atlantic ocean and swampy forest. And I wouldn't mind visiting Boston again and visiting New York. New York is culturally diverse and interesting enough that I could probably even live there because I would be distracted from the fact that I would be surrounded by concrete and steel and people and would eventually feel sorta "trapped." But the entire East Coast as a whole doesn't attract me because it's too crowded with people and I've been told Easterners are sorta unfriendly. And then there's a person from the East Coast who I dated for four and a half years and who was sometimes (in my mid-western opinion) rather blunt and rude. That strengthens my suspicions that Easterners are culturally different from Mid-westerners and Westerners.
I still feel most comfortable in "the west."

4 comments:

How said...

I may be blunt, but I'm not unfriendly. . . . 'Rude' is up for debate.

I'm not sure how much use this is beyond saying there are exceptions to every rule.

In fact and on the other hand, I often think that Southerners are merely reflexively friendly and Midwesterners seem friendly but snark it up behind one's back.

Anonymous said...

i hear your yearning for the west. Having spent 8 months of 5 years in Southwestern Montana (as much as i loved it, and i did/do) i know that i would have a really, really hard time living anywhere East of the City of Spokane.

i think that back East would be fun to live in for a while. As in the time it would take to get more edumacated.

Tara Ulrich said...

Hey Steph....whats up? Seems like forever since I heard from you or since you posted on your blog. Hope you are doing well. God bless!!

Stephanie said...

Jennifer-
Your assessment of Midwesterners is absolutely correct. I find that sad. And I am a mid-westerner. Damn.