1.23.2005

sliding in the mud of self doubt

Funny that I live in a place intended to foster community and yet I just want to hide in a corner with a book. My introverted tendencies seem to get stronger by the day. The rest of the staff here is burned out, down to core. This is a retreat center, yet where does the staff go when they need to get away? They need to retreat from retreating. I'm the fresh new face on staff. I should be the glue that holds us all together, the community builder and peace maker for a community designed to help people build relationships. I should be picking up the slack and helping the overburdened carry their weight. And yet I'm screwing up at every turn. My pitiful attempt at community building failled miserably. You see, this community is in transition and as with any transition there are a few bumps along the way. I should be good at transitioning by now. Afterall I've been in transition for roughly a year. It was just over a year ago that I buried all my neatly laid plans and a silver engagement ring beneath a rock somewhere in the wide open empties of Montana. I stood on that hilltop on that windy January day, arms outstretched, I could see forever and I was so sure I was going to fly. But on the way back down to solid ground I slid and fell in the slippery Montana clay. I washed those jeans but the mud of self-doubt is harder to wash away. I've been trying to fly ever since, but that mud is just weighing me down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph - I wish you were here or I was there right now. We could combine our hills of self doubt to make mountains, and then sit down in the shadow of them with a drink or two and commiserate. I'm having a rough time transitioning back into another lonely semester, and like you have been doubting my self, my abilities, and my choices.

Trust God that He has you in His care. He created you and blessed you with gifts. Turn to Him and He will lift you up and let you soar!

Lisa

Stephanie said...

I guess the terrain of transition is full of hills and valleys. Lisa, I know and believe that you are intelligent, capable and God has wonderful things in store for you. I know that your gifts will be used in great ways. I'm praying for you too and thanks so very much for your words of encouragement.

Stephanie said...

And by the way, you're wishing I was there because the camp has a no drinking policy, so we couldn't have our drink here, just commiserate....and what fun would that be? ;)

Jessica said...

Steph, you are doing just fine there!! Nobody expects you to jump right into a transitioning community and be the glue! That would be way too much pressure for anybody. What are your biggest gifts and passions in community? *That's* where you can focus. You can't be the perfect community member. You CAN be a really great Steph. OK, enough pep talk. :-)