6.02.2006

Spring slips into summer

Memorial day has come and gone and I'm daydreaming about hikes in the mountains. The spring has been less than ideal, but I'm pressing on. I taught my last piano lesson a little over a week ago and we finished our last Logos session two days ago. As much as I want to say that I'll miss Logos, I breathed an enormous sigh of relief. Despite my four years prior children's ministry experience, the sad truth is that I really struggle to connect with kids. I want to teach them about the Bible stories and I want to come up with creative and exciting learning activities, but I really end up spending most of the time asking them to sit down and listen. Or to stop hitting each other. Or stop climbing up the shed. I don't mind one or two children for a short amount of time, but the noise and commotion of 50 children packed into a church sanctuary makes me want to curl into a ball and wait for them to go home.

I keep reminding myself that children don't become belligerent bullies overnight. I know that most of these kids aren't getting three nutritious meals a day. Many go home to dim houses that haven't been cleaned in ages and smell of sweat, greasy food and dog. Many don't have parents who care enough to keep track of where they go, or their parents are in prison, or working too many hours a day.

Jessica and I were settling in for the evening as the doorbell rang. A smallish boy with dark hair and bluish circles under his eyes stood on our front walk. I could see a larger boy crouched behind the picket fence next door.
"What's up guys? It's 10:30 at night!" I said.
"We're just walking around" the little one replied. The older one came out from behind the fence.
We invited them in for awhile and Jessica made them hot chocolate. We asked if they'd come to Logos before and the larger one said he'd gotten kicked out for fighting. He slouched in the chair, his hood covering his eyes. I asked the younger one what he liked in school. He said "science."

I wondered where the bluish circles under his eyes came from. Had he been crying? His expression was permanently wistful. He got very quiet and looked up at the ceiling, then at the walls.
"I don't know why, but I haven't gotten any letters from my uncle lately."
"Where's your uncle?"
"He's in jail."
"How long has it been since you got a letter?"
"A month. He used to write all the time. He has seven more months to go."

"You don't hear from your dad either, do you." said the older one.
"No."

"Do you live with your mom?" I asked.
"No, she's in jail too. I live with my grandma."

They finished their cocoa and they left at 11:00 pm to walk the few blocks home in the dark.

Later I was remembered these boys had come last fall. We'd kicked them out because they'd started fighting with another boy in our living room. We'd asked them to leave two our three times and it wasn't until I flipped off the TV in front of them and Jessica told them they absolutely HAD to go NOW that they left. On our front walk they had stolen his coat and taunted him. I grabbed one by the shoulders, made him drop the coat (he tossed it) and I told them to "JUST GO HOME!" I remember the righteous indignant fury I'd felt then. Now I know where they come from. Now I feel only pity.

No comments: