6.11.2006

Selling my soul for poverty wages

After wasting time worrying about job hunting, spending little time actually job hunting, and finally praying aobut the whole thing, I am employed.

Despite the time I spent fretting over the want ads with a highlighter, both positions actually came about through word-of-mouth.

Friday I started temporary work as an activities aide at an Adult Day Center. I will be helping take the clients from one activity to another, pushing wheelchairs and such. I'll also help out at lunch and then lead games and activities after lunch. My secret weapon is my ability to play piano and I'm expected to lead sing-a-longs every so often. The job lasts only a few hours each day and only for the month of June, but the people are friendly and the atmosphere is upbeat. Everyone in the program has lost some of their mental or physical capacity, but there is a certain light in their eyes. I plan to enjoy this more than taking orders for disgustingly expensive outerwear.

In July I embark on an entirely new adventure. At the urging of a friend from the Presbyterian Peacemaking Network, I applied for an Americorps position working with Spokane Neighborhood Action Program and The United Way. I was the only person applying that I'm aware of and they needed the position filled quickly, so naturally I was awarded the position. I'll be coordinating the C.A.S.H program. I'll explain more about this as I learn more, but for now I can say it involves grant writing, coordinating volunteers at free tax preparation sites and building awareness for a tax credit for working families.
I've signed up for a year of volunteer service as I'm completing a year of volunteer service. I'll get a subsistence wage and healthcare benefits, which means I'll be able to pay for rent and a little food, gas to get back and forth to work, and perhaps occasionally go to a doctor. Is this foolish? Perhaps. But I know that I cannot use my abilities simply to help someone get richer. There is more to life. I'm counting on the idea that although I won't be able to buy much I'll find fulfillment in the knowledge that I'm using my time and energy to do something of lasting importance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, you should know that i look up to you.

The sing alongs should be wonderful! One of my favorite lunch time activities of two years ago was joining Monte (former music director at Manito) and Jerry Schwab for the weekly sing-alongs at the House of Charity. Although many of those residing there did not join us, it was truly a wonderful and transformative time, and with your talents i'm sure you will be a light to that community.

In other words, you ma'am, rock.

Stephanie said...

Jon-
I really appreciate your encouragement. Thank you and much love.
Steph