3.30.2006

Sprung

Spring has sprung
it's time to fly
on wings of sun and earth and sky
I hear the Robins' chorus sing
Spring is here
It's Spring
It's SPRING!!!

I wrote that in elementary school.
I still feel that way about spring.

The sun and earth and sky feel a bit farther here and I feel a bit as though those wings had been clipped. You can't spread your wings when there are houses and cars and parking meters and people in the way.

I want to walk down to the lake and listen to the geese and ducks coming back from the south, to find the little green plants peeking through the slush and water and mud, to watch the water rushing through the coulee, to find the piles of ice on the lakeshore where the wind pushed them.

I"ll never forget the warm spring night we walked out into the pasture hills and I could feel the warm and cool air currents caressing my face as I walked through them. The Northern Lights came out and as they danced eerily across the sky a flock of ducks flew overhead, just low enough that we could hear the "whoosh" of their wings. It sounded like the northern lights...airy and surreal.
I want to hike up to the hillsides and see the crocuses blooming....hundreds and hundreds of little fuzzy pasque flowers covering the dried prairie slopes.

The crocuses here are in neat, bright little rows edging our flower beds. Also we have an abundance of little blue flowers coming up in our yard and flower beds. And the potting plants are out at Lowes which means I can plant things soon. Hooray!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Community garden time?

:)