8.25.2005

Go west young woman!!

As I did last summer, I started this summer with some inner apprehension over Sidewalk Sonday School I didn't voice it much, but it was there. But we were well-recieved everywhere we went, met some wonderful people, braved heat, wind, rain, and cold, and only had two automotive failures. Overall it was a successful summer.
Now summer is careening to a close and I am preparing for another transition, a westward move. At the end of August I'm moving to Spokane Washington to be a part of the community and mission of Westminster House. Westminster House is owned by the Westminster Presbyterian church and is located in Spokane's West Central district, a neighborhood that has seen some decline in it's years. It is a neighborhood populated both by families on welfare and more affluent families who have moved to the neighborhood recently to fix up some older houses in the area. Westminster House is described by Sandy Brocoway, Pastor of Westminster Presbyterian as "a beacon of safety for neighborhood children, a place offering Bible study and a place where young adults live while engaging in neighborhood mission." (I got that from an article in "The Fig Tree" which I linked to under "Westminster Presbyterian church") I will be living there with three other young people, who I have never met. Together we will attempt to create this safe haven for local kids, and run after-school programs for the kids. I hope to teach piano lessons as part of my ministry.
I must end here as I must go and put the four inky -black kittens to bed in the barn now. Many apologies for not writing more regularly.

1 comment:

Tara Ulrich said...

Hey girl So good to hear from you. Imagine my surprise when I saw you left a comment on my blog. It totally made my day. May God be with you in this new adventure. Take care and I consider it an honor to call you my friend as well. God bless!

Tara